WIC Nutrition Program for women, infants, and children
Due to COVID-19 Emergency Response Peoria City/County Health Department is closed to the public. Limited services are available.
Temporary guidelines to access limited services
WIC – Women, Infants and Children:
- All appointments are cancelled immediately. Required education and certification will be completed by telephone
- Food vouchers will be issued and delivered by certified mail. You will need to be home to sign for the food vouchers.
- To sign up as a new WIC client, call 309-679-6076 to complete your application.
- For changes to your food package or formula by your doctor, call 309-679-6076 for directions.
- Your Breastfeeding Peer Counselor will be available by the telephone number provided to you.
WIC Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children
WIC is a free nutrition education program that assists you with purchasing healthy foods and provides information on healthy eating during pregnancy, breastfeeding, and feeding your child.
New clients: Call to register
Walk In hours for current clients:
* Monday-Wednesday-Thursday-Friday 8am-3pm Tuesday 9am-3pm
* If you or your child need to be seen for a visit, you will need to arrive during walk in hours or call for an appointment, 309-679-6076.
WIC check printing:
Checks are printed only between 8am-4:15pm..
Appointments and information:
For more information or to make an appointment to see if you qualify for the WIC program, call 309-679-6076 or email WIC .
- Live in Peoria County
- Are pregnant or have a child less than 5 years of age
- Meet WIC Income Guidelines
WIC Program Overview
- Provides free one-on-one and group nutrition education. You may qualify to take your nutrition education online. If your nutritionist approves online education, visit the WIC online education website.
- Ensures the proper growth of infants and children
- Provides breastfeeding education and assistance
- Assesses eligibility to receive a free breast pump
- Assists pregnant women with obtaining temporary state medical cards (MPE card)
- Provides free food coupons to supplement your food purchases at local stores
WIC Encourages Breastfeeding
WIC supports breastfeeding. The nutritional and health advantages of breastfeeding are taught and encouraged in WIC nutrition education. Participants also learn about the convenience and bonding advantages of breastfeeding their infants. Breastfeeding mothers receive larger food packages to support the higher nutritional needs of breastfeeding. WIC has a dedicated Breastfeeding Peer Counselor on staff to help educate and support women from the start of pregnancy, through the start of breastfeeding, and on to successful breastfeeding.
Have a breastfeeding question or need support? Call our Breastfeeding Peer Counselor at 309-679-6187 or email WIC.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender, identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)
Filing a Complaint
If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form online, or at any USDA office, or call 866-632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at:
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director
Office of Adjudication
1400 Independence Avenue, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
Email Program Intake.
Hearing & Speech Impairments
Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339; or 800-845-6136 (Spanish).