The Lead-Safe Homes Programs address the issue of Peoria County having one of the highest lead poisoning rates in the State of Illinois. Exposure to lead paint can have many harmful effects to pregnant women and to children. Lead paint can be found in older homes on windows, siding, and doors. For information, qualifications, and appointments, call 309-679-6120.
Lead Hazard Removal Program
This program provides inspections and mitigations of in-home lead-based paint hazards such as siding, doors, windows, soffits and/or painting. Additional reviews under our Healthy Homes may include moisture reduction strategies with gutters, air conditioners and even radon systems. Program guidelines include:
- 20% landlord match contribution
- 3 year occupancy requirement following mitigation work (Promissory Note)
- Current homeowners’ insurance
- Historical, flood plain clearance
- Income eligibility based on household size
- Paid property taxes
- Proof of Ownership (Recorded Deed)
- Residence in 61603, 61604, 61605, or 61606 ZIP code
- Single family residence built prior to 1978
View our Lead-Safe Housing Registry for homes with repairs through this program.